Sunday, April 10, 2005

You probably think nothing's happening at our house...

Well, you're wrong. There is a lot going on here! On Thursday morning I felt like a daycare provider, trying to meet the needs of my older "child" while taking care of the dependent puppy's needs. I was exhausted at the end of the day!

My friend Beth reminded me that I need to spend some special time with the older dog and make sure to give him treats so he feels acknowledged and like he still belongs.

So on Thursday while the little pup was sleeping I took Buster on a fast jaunt to the post office to mail a letter for another conference that I am attending this month on Bowenian family systems. He seemed to really enjoy the time that was all about him, and not his puppy sister.

I am learning, I think, what it is like to be parents of an only child- and then to introduce a new baby into the house. Wow. What great lessons provided by fast-growing fur friends.

The cutest thing happened yesterday. Besides the fact that Buster and Genevieve (wow that's a long name for a 5 lb. pup!) love to play together, Geneweasel- a new nickname for her since she likes to weasel out of my arms to go play and run- shared her "cookie" with Buster. She was in the IKEA kitchen chewing on a Scooby Snack right near the doggy gate where Buster watched on with concern. She broke it in half and shoved half of it under the gate to Buster on the other side of the gate. Buster looked at me as if to ask "Can I eat it? She gave it to me?" And I said, "Go ahead.". So he happily ate it, and Genevieve ate her half. So cute. My corgis share!

Housebreaking is an adventure. I think I've brought the pup out 3 or 4 times today already. That doesn't include when Troy took her out at 4am.

Yes- I have been doing a little knitting despite all the dog care action here. I am working on my Noro sleeves. I adapted them- can I leave anything the way it's supposed to be on the pattern anymore? Rhetorical question. Of course not. Why should my sleeves be loose and sloppy when they could be fitted and contoured to my long arms?

Speaking of rhetorical questions. We watched this video called "FAT City" in class on Thursday night and it addressed a simulation of learning disabilities in a population of educators and others who work with children. One of the points that came up was the sarcasm that is used when a child doesn't get an answer right in school, and the use of rhetorical questions. The video said that the fastest way to get teachers to stop using rhetorical questions is for them to hear a student respond back to them. For instance, a teacher asks, " What part of no talking don't you understand?" The student replies, "the 'No' part". The class chuckles. Hmm. Do you think that teacher was very happy?! Well, from my experience my health teacher Mr. Grose was not happy with that answer when I gave it to him in seventh grade health class. Just a little sass to start your day. And to let you know that some rhetorical questions are better off staying where they originate- in your brain.

No comments: