Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Halter top snafu on a good day

Well, compared to yesterday there were far less klutzy times. I can't even count one today. I knit with the SnB girls at a historic house- that was great- but I got sunburnt. Oops. I worked on my halter- and tonight I seamed it up. Then I tried it on- and half-laughed. How is it that my perception of myself is so off?! I remember reading a book in high school about girls in rehab for eating disorders. Part of their treatment was that photo slides of their body silhouettes were taken and then these were shown to the girls with the eating disorders. Each girl was given the task of correctly identifying their body shape. I don't think any of them were correct. I do remember looking at the halter back and thinking, hmmm... this does look too big, but it's smaller than the front piece, so things must be fine. Well, this acrylic yarn has a lot of stretch when knit up. DH had to help me make some alterations. He was given the task of measuring my back, and then seeing just how much extra their was going on at both sides. 4 1/2 inches per side, to be exact. Back to the frog pond. The good news is that I am going to leave the front piece as is- it looks pretty good, and just work around its size to make a back piece that fits. I will wear this to the picnic on Sunday! Said with determination.

My other big goal of the day was an ambitious, yet mostly realistic goal. I was going to write 2 full pages on my thesis. It has been ignored a bit lately, with the holiday weekend and all, and it was time to return to it. I set out to complete this task- and found myself having typed about 5 lines shy of three pages. I made it- and was able to submit my then completed introduction to my advisor.

warning- vent up ahead...

Tomorrow, I have "supervision". This has tended to be me sitting with a licensed therapist listening to an hour of criticism. I am required to have supervision as part of my educational program, and this entails a real-live therapist sitting down with me and (so-far) telling me what I don't know yet. Though, I was complimented on one thing last time. So I suppose that is good. The hard part was being told that I was a perfectionist (am I?), and that my language wasn't "clinical" and that I was taking things personally. Oh- it was also mentioned that I don't swear. How would this therapist who hardly sees me and definitely hasn't achieved a place on my buddy list know whether I do swear or do not? And why does it matter? I thought I was supposed to be practicing what I've learned, and then getting further help when I have questions. That is not what I've experienced thus far, and so tomorrow I plan to stand up for myself more, and disagree openly and not just listen the whole time and then try to make sense of the confusion later. Wish me luck. Or something like that.

The highlight of the day will be presenting our contest winner, La Nena with her prize. Visit her blog of tasty food, and knitting to come soon, on my blog list page, it's estacionliceu.blogspot.com. We are having a meet-up at a coffeeshop on Grand Ave tomorrow, post supervision.

1 comment:

- LisaD. said...

Ah....Good Luck with your "Supervision" today. Stay strong. It's only criticism, right? Take from it what you can apply ....and toss the rest aside. You'll can do it.

It was fun knitting with you this morning. I am sorry you got sun burnt. It was a thought that crossed my mind several times while watching you facing the sun. We should've moved into the shade. Ho hum.