Monday, January 02, 2006

Who plays tag in the winter?

From KnitThink: Who else wants to play knitting tag?

1. What new knitting techniques did you learn this year?

Hmm, a little intarsia, how to knit an applied neckband, short rows, lace knitting, brioche, felting, provisional cast on, I think I forgot some. I am in the process of learning socks the magic loop way, but that has been abandoned temporarily.

2. Which completed project from the last 12 months are you the most proud of?
My leaf lace shawl, fixing my Noro sweater to fit better, my new lilac/ mohair Vogue Knitting v-neck.

3. What was your biggest knitting disaster from the last year?
Definitely trying to create a halter top out of cotton tape yarn. I have worn it a few times but the cotton just keeps stretching out of shape. That's an example of trying to get a fiber to do something that it is not intended to do.

4. Who or what has been the biggest influence on your knitting in 2004?

My SnB group, knitting blogs, Cast-on and Knit-cast podcasts, knitty.com

5. What knit craze grabbed you this year?

Lace knitting in the summer, sock knitting, any and all knitting!

New Year's resolutions:

In 2006 I will knit: another sweater for DH, the rest of the 51 tails that remain to be knit in on my Mom's sweater (that's after 2 nights of tail weaving in sessions), more cables, baby booties for my best friend's baby

I will learn to: make sense of the Knitting Stitch Bible- what does it mean for stitches to be in multiples, and how do you know how many stitches to cast on per pattenrn in that book, how to knit into the stitch below, fair isle, whatever else I need to know to make nice sweaters

To become a better knitter, I will: Keep going to SnB, continue my informal apprenticeship with the Knitting Wizard, surround myself with other adventurous knitters

oh- did I mention I have 51 more tails to weave in on my Mom's sweater after two nights of such work?! That will be my next goal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen The Knitting Bible, but when it talks about multiples of stitches, doesn't that usually mean that they tell you how many stitches to make up one pattern repeat (like Feather & Fan), then you multiply that by however many stitches you need to get the size you want?