Sunday, September 12, 2004

Knitting 911

A big bad thing happened today to my first sweater project. It was chai'd. Yes, I was riding in a friend's car, and there was a cup in there that had outgrown its built-in cupholder. I didn't think anything of it, since I nearly always drink all of whatever beverage I have. There was leftover chai in this cup, and it tipped, watering my leg, my book, and gasp! my knitting. In fact, I later realized that it had come to pool in the bottom of the bag which held 3 skeins of yarn, and the sweater in progress. I didn't want to make a huge deal out of it then, but knew that I had work to do ASAP- once back at home.

I called Abby at Borealis Yarns, and soon was busied with the task of washing tea out of the sweater-to-be, and it looked quite good with the preliminary "blocking". Now it is drying along with the two re-skeined yarns- that left their ball stage to pursue emergency help. That means that I have to wait for it to dry before I can knit more. And I'm at my parents' house today, and the other knitting projects are at my home.

Meanwhile, I was thinking, I should be so upset now- but I didn't cry, I was motivated to action to do whatever it took to not have to spend another 30 dollars on the sweater. We'll have to see what happens with the light blue color, I can't see anymore chai in it, but if it remains it won't be the end of the world to have to buy a replacement skein.

In contrast to last month's weekend class, I am not experiencing an intellectual hangover. That's a really good thing though, since I have the previous' class paper to complete, soon. And class happens again on Monday night. Tomorrow. Then I might have an intellectual hangover. Maybe it was the appletini (apple martini) that prevented my brain from school overload this time.

1 comment:

chele said...

Yikes! glad you were able to save the sweater!!

i started on the first slipper last night. i stayed up until 1:15.. not that i'm a psycho-knitter or anything.. :-)

i'm doing it all on the double pointed needles. i hated using the circular. i think it should work.. but i'll need opinions and advice on Tuesday!