Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Vote early, vote *often*

Well, maybe just once. I woke up at 8am to go vote with my husband. We drove 3 blocks through the misty rain, and were in and out in a flash. I did think it was humorous to enter the voting place (a church) and someone had placed a voting box right inside the entry way. Was that for the people with social phobias- who need a separate place to vote away from all the other voters? Was that strategic decorating? Like, add a bowl of candy, and some lighted candles, maybe a mirror with a decorated frame-someone must of did some late night internet research, on "tips to make your voting entry more attractive and welcoming". It's got to exist right- In this Martha Stewart world...
Was that box broken- did it lose it's ability to hum like the others? Why do those boxes hum, anyway? Is it to create a welcome environment for all who do their civic duty? Or, is it to subliminally influence the selections of the voters? Maybe I'll have to do a social psych study on that phenomena.
Last night, I had the pleasure to see "I Heart Huckabees"- with the existential detectives. It was a very interesting flick. If you like to think (are the philosophical or intellectual type) or even if you don't, at the least this film provides a provocative way to look at the world.
Is everything connected? Or is everything disconnected? Is everything meaningless? Or is everything meaningful? Regardless of which side of the spectrum you would like to explore- this movie addresses both views. Warning: after watching it, you might accidentally plunge into a few hours of life analysis, or at least good discussions with other fellow movie goers.
Soon, I will be going to IKEA with my Mom, wearing my shiny red "I Voted" sticker to purchase gold wrapping paper for my role as the kindergarten props person.

No comments: