Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Knitting discontent

Every now and then, more than I would like to admit, I get into a knitting rut. Not a "I have too many projects" or "too much stash yarn" or anything like that. Instead I get frustrated by my non-stash stash- in which there is not enough of any types of yarn in my guest bedroom/hobby closet to make anything of consequence.

What I would really like to do is be knitting a sweater- something cozy and warm that would allow me to try out some new techniques. Instead I have been knitting socks. I finished my leaf lace socks and they are great, and match each other pretty well, but last night I started a new pair of socks using my size 2 wooden double pointed needles.

Awhile back one of the 5 broke in half and I glued it back together. I made a little mark on it with a marker at its stress point so I wouldn't re-stress it and have it break again. Sometime recently it did break again after holding together for so many rounds. I don't know where the other half of it went. Have you ever tried knitting a sock with a broken/sharp wooden needle? It's tough since it does get in the way every other time around (when knitting in a circle).

And yes, socks on two circular needles would be a fun trick to learn too, but that would require me to buy 2 circular needles of sock size. But I am trying so hard to save my money so I can buy yarn to make the Vogue Knitting v-neck cable sweater that is pink and orange in the magazine.

As for now, I am in the knitting doldrums. Taunted by the many blogs of the stash-laden knitters busy making their projects. I know my life isn't that rough, but sometimes a girl's got to whine. So I whine I will.

And yes, I know that I am knitting on a sweater for my Mom, and this project will be the lucky accompanist to SnB tomorrow morning. So I should be content with that, but for now I'm in a state of knitting discontent.

1 comment:

- LisaD. said...

That is a terrible state to be in. I empathize with you. I want to make that same sweater in vogue. I have the yarn, but won't allow myself to start it until I finish my current project. (which BTW is taking forever)

(oops....sorry, don't mean to rub it in)

Anyway, good things come to those who wait. Hang on a little longer. It'll be sooooooo worth it